Thank you to one of my teachers for allowing me to post this.  I originally saw it on our school internal email account. It moved me, and I sought permission to re-post it here.

“Hi, everyone!

I just felt compelled to share with you a post I made on Facebook this evening in regards to an experience I had today. Being a teacher can be so difficult, especially at a school like Shaw. But, I promise you, that there is NO other profession more rewarding… and I truly believe that there’s no better school to work at. Our students NEED us. They need us to come to work every day prepared, with a smile, giving 120%. They need us to let go of situations that frustrate us and give them a fresh start, whenever they need it (and yes, that might mean every 5 minutes ha ha). Our kids depend on us for so much more than an education. I am humbled on a daily basis. But we are all human, and today I found myself getting very upset about a situation that has been ongoing with one of my students. I wanted to share my perspective in the post below.

But before you keep reading, I just wanted to say how truly thankful I am to work with a group of passionate people who have such a heart for our kids. You are making a difference in more lives than you know.”

—————

October 2016 : Today I rode in the back of a police car.

I went on a transport for one of my students whose repeated unsafe behavior left us no other options. Prior to arriving at this students home, I was upset. Possibly even mad. Mad that I felt like I exhausted all of my strategies and resources, mad that I hadn’t been able to get this student back on track after a week of aggressive behavior and elopement, mad that it had to get to this point. But once the officer pulled in front of our destination and I was “greeted” (I say that very loosely) by an angered mother, that fierceness I had felt immediately diminished and became an overwhelming moment of clarity me. Empathy. The ability to understand and share the feelings of others…something I’ve always felt I had a strong sense of (thanks mom and dad ;P). But sometimes in the midst of a storm it’s difficult to remove yourself and see the situation from an outside perspective. Humbling. This impromptu house visit was such a slap in the face. It was the first one I’ve ever been on, and it was heartbreaking. As I walked away from the house after getting a door slammed in the face and hearing a mother scream profanities, I couldn’t help but think what an idiot I was. Who am I to think I know what it’s like? Who am I to think I would be any different if I had grown up under the same circumstances? Who am I to think that child is to blame? I’m taking some time to reflect and I can only pray that my heart will find unending patience for this student (and every other student that passes through my door).

Today served as just another blunt reminder of how much responsibility I (we) have as teacher(s). It’s a sad reality, but to some of our kids we are the first smile they see in the morning. We are the first hug, the first “hey how are you feeling today?” We are the only positive they see and experience on a day to day basis. WE are the difference. We have incredible power. To change and transform. We are their fresh start. WHAT A PRIVILEGE!

“Remember: everyone in the classroom has a story that leads to misbehavior or defiance. Nine times out of 10, the story behind the misbehavior won’t make you angry. It will break your heart.”